9.12.2007

Effective Insect Repellent in the Jungle

A bug repellent is a must-have item for jungle trekking.
Because of high humidity, mosquitoes are everywhere!

There are many types of insect repellents available in the market.
I absolutely prefer natural bug sprays with essential oils to more commonly sold diethyltoluamide, DEET. BUZZ AWAY
The natural variety is also available in selected stores, or can be conveniently made at home.

Ingredients are as simple as water, a small amount of preferred oil (for moisturizing), drops of essential oils (citronella, lemongrass, eucalyptus, geranium, etc.) Instead of the typical offensive smell of DEET sprays, natural bug sprays comfort you with aromatherapy effect.
Better yet, they work!

These natural insect repellents are gentle on skin and often eco-friendly.



source: wikipedia

A person who lives in a Costa Rican jungle once taught me that massaging pure coconut oil directly on the skin works great as an insect repellent. Although I knew that bugs such as mosquitoes and ticks dislike the citrus scent, I had never been aware that coconut oil was also effective to keep insects away.
If a local inhabitant of the jungle says so, it must be true...




Some bats eat mosquitoes and are considered beneficial animals for the purpose of repellent. Where there are abundant bats inhabiting, consequently, there are less mosquitoes. To preserve rich ecosystems where bats can thrive is in fact another means of mosquito repellent.

If you are still bothered by bugs, you may not be the bravest jungle explorer.
For many people including myself, bugs can be a major annoyance.

In a jungle, travelers are merely visitors.
I constantly remind myself that the land belongs to fauna and flora, and we visitors need to respect the forest dwellers and plants. If I want to get rid of bugs, I think I would rather give myself a quick misting of natural repellent than exterminate them.


If you agree, click here!

No comments: